Finding the New “ME”MentorKraft
I set out on my own this year with branching out into 3 business domains that I feel I will do well. Leaving the comfort of the safe and predictive pay cheque, which would land itself into my bank savings account on on the 1st of every month, was a tough call. But the vision to contribute through my small wins and failures (experience) and talent was so vivid that the shadows of doubt withered away in no time. I shared my vision and goals with my loved ones and added, that at the end of this road, either we would rejoice and bask in the glory of the success or regret the decision I took to harvest the dream-fields yearned for years. The indications are positive and making a difference as an entrepreneur is slowly and steadily reaping benefits as a whole.
In the run up to making my business reach every section of corporate and social world, I am discovering and re-inventing myself all over again; unlearning to learn the tricks of the trade yet again. It’s almost like starting from scratch, but in it lies the secret that we miss out on our way up the ladder. I certainly don t want to paint everyone with the same brush but by and large the management route to climb is the same. In a recent Harvard post I came across this statement, which read, “ Who is going to hold the complete picture of your life? Some credit rating service? Google?
Listing out 7 steps, which have propelled me to become and understand leadership position to its best-defined algorithms. They are listed under for your reading pleasure
- Mind is Set on the BIG GOAL: Most people engage in the their pursuits often are freed from the pettiness of everything around us. That cappacino is too warm or cold, the waiter is too slow or intrusive, the food is too spicy or not enough, all these considerations disappear because you have your mind on the bigger goal and better picture. Clarity of though dawns and we witness fewer pitfalls around us
- Respect and honor: I hope against hope that one day science and thinkers re-discover what ancients have always known, namely that our highest currency is respect. Newton’s law of always works in every situation, in every religion, every interaction, every office and in every atom of this universe that every action has an equal and opposite reaction, well, cognitive science recognizes this fundamental paradigm very well and its propensity is based on this logic.
- Attention to action: Being a student of Sanskrit I cannot but mention an apt shloka “ SATO DHIRGHA KAALAM, NAYRANTARAYAM, SATKARO SEVITO , DRIDA BHUMIM” Any practice, effort , dream or vision takes a time to mature, Nayrantariyam – effortless and without a break, with honor and respect , you will reside in that form and achieve success in whatever you do. Attention to action is execution, which is the core reason for failure in many multi billion dollar conglomerates. Stay focused on here and now and ensure success with perfection in every act.
- Adaptability: Change is no longer the only constant but is the continuous behavioral adaption tool, especially who are hard wired for ‘No change’. Good ideas, great leaders, intelligent minds, creative geniuses, change agents never reach the desired position of stardom due to non-adaptability traits demonstrated by many in the business of social world. Must know the latest English billboard top 40, what’s twitting the most, the most watched you tube video, to stay updated connected to the youth. Ones ability to adapt quickly to new methods and variations of life is one big lesson for me in this journey. I have in my corporate life seen many leaders destroy budding teams, high yield business units, talented individuals due the inability to embrace change and adopt to the new.
- Speed: As mentioned in my previous post “ skill in action” is very important. I remember my boss telling me that each time you make a presentation make it thinking you are going to present it to one of the Ambani brothers. Well as life and luck would have it I did get chances to present some of my business work to them. This simple but profound insight helped me a lot to a) Ensure quality of data and matter was 100% and b) I made each slide to perfection. This system of working got hard wired so intensively in sub- conscious patterns that it is now more out of habit that I do it right the first time. The essence of speed whilst churning out quality throughput has made life and work easier for me as a entrepreneur.
- Interdependence: I am reminded yet again of an ancient sankrit verse which is recited before commencing any ritual, act, of good work in the vedic times, and it goes something like this…” SAHANA VAVATU SAHAN BHUNATU, SAHA VIRYAM KARAWAVAHIA, TEJASVINA VADHITAMSTU, MA VIDVISHAVAHAI, OM SHANTI SHANTI SHANTI” Together may we be protected, together may we be nourished, together may we work with great energy, may our journey together be brilliant and effective, may there be no bad feelings between us and let there be peace peace peace. Such was the brilliance of oriental verses that in it was embedded the secret of working in the world. Today I see as an entrepreneur that I cannot move an inch without the support and help of known and unknown people. This platform (LinkedIn) through which I am now communicating is one such brilliant tool propounding that wisdom of interdependence.
- Training at all levels: I have been a very strong proponent of training during my corporate life and today I see this as the most pertinent gap which needs attention from trained, experienced and quality personnel. Be it India Inc or citizens at large we need to polarize the right and the wrong way of doing things through extensive and sustained training programs at every level. Skill development if my 7th learning as an entrepreneur that I see as an area which needs immediate attention from all walks of life
I would welcome views and comments on this article with the hope that we can together make this article stir up the minds of leaders to enhance the feedforward, solution based scenarios in business of life. I am hopeful and excited that perhaps many additions and ideas can help all readers of this article to suite and create their respective way of working in make organizations and its individuals more productive and future ready. Please do help me share this article with your friends and groups.
My time dedicated to your success.